V is for Villages of The Stour Valley

Old Villages

At the beginning of the 19th century the area we now call Bournemouth was little more than scattered farms, small villages and heathland grazed by cattle.

As the Victorian craze for healthy seaside holidays took hold, the local beaches drew attention. By 1840 a small village had sprung up near the mouth of the River Bourne. Rental villas were advertised to wealthy Victorian families.

The arrival of the railway, in 1870, sparked a population and building boom. By 1881 there were 16,859 people living in the town of Bournemouth. This became 37,000 in the following ten years. 

Today 183,491 people live in the town, making it the largest in Dorset with the surrounding South East Dorset conurbation making a total population of over 400,000.

Holdenhurst Village

Iford Bridge Lane

Throop Village

 

 

Throop old post office cottages